Crayon Canvas

I had seen tutorials for melting crayons on canvas frequently on Pinterest and Craftgawker, so I decided to try it. It was fairly simple and I really liked the end result. Here's my tutorial:


1) Get your materials: crayons, canvas, hot glue gun, hair dryer, and fabric/paint (optional-I used these to add embellishment to my canvases.)


2) Choose a theme for your canvas and pick crayon colors accordingly. I wanted my crayon streaks to look like flower stems, so I used shades of green. The lengths of the crayons should be similar but the sharpness doesn't really matter. You can also remove the crayon labels, but I liked the look of them and I was feeling lazy, so I left them on. Also, make sure you have enough to fill the length of the canvas.


3) Using the glue gun, glue the crayons to the canvas. Align the bottoms of the crayons with the edge of the canvas as best as you can.

4) Once all of the crayons have been glued, use your hair dryer to melt the crayons. Have your canvas at an angle while doing this, so the streaks run straight. The closer you hold the hair dryer, the wider your streaks will be.
                                     

5) Once the streaks are the length you want them, lay the canvas flat to stop the drips. Allow the wax to cool for a minute or two and then add details with paint or fabric. I added fabric flowers to my green canvas and painted a person with an umbrella on my second canvas.
                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment