Button Earrings

I'm not a fan of "dangle" earrings, so I was excited when I saw this tutorial for making post earrings: http://www.sadalewis.com/2011/06/fabric-button-earrings-tutorial.html. After looking at the instructions, I decided to try it. I made a minor change, but I think they came out like they were supposed to...


1) Get your materials: cover button kit, earring backs, fabric scraps, scissors, super glue and pliers.

2) Cut your fabric to cover the buttons. I got 1/2 inch buttons and a 1.5in x1.5in square of fabric was the perfect size.  Center your fabric, wrong side up, over the mold. Put the button shell, also wrong side up, on the fabric and push it into the mold.


3) Tuck the extra fabric into the shell.

4) This is where I made the change from the original tutorial. Instead of using the button backing and the earring backing, I used just the earring backing. The backings I got were 10mm, and were the perfect replacement. Put a drop of super glue on the fabric and attach the earring backing using piers. Push down with the pliers until the pieces snap together. Let the glue glue set for a few seconds before removing the earring from the mold. 

5) Repeat steps 2-4 to make the second earring and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment